Privacy & SECURITY
Privacy and Security on the Seraphine website
At Séraphine we take your privacy and security seriously, that is why we ensure that our security policy is up to date with the latest services to protect you when shopping online. Below you will find information regarding the key aspects of our secure shopping service.
Verified by VISA and Mastercard® SecureCode™
Verified by VISA and Mastercard® SecureCode™ are new services from VISA and Mastercard in association with your card issuer to provide added protection when you buy online. It is a private password that means added protection against unauthorised use of your credit or debit card when you shop online. This should not be confused with your normal pin number that you use when shopping in the high street or when using cash machines. To set up your new password, you will need to register by following the website links provided below. If you use Mastercard: http://www.mastercard.co.uk/support/securecode-faq.html If you have a VISA debit or credit card: http://www.visa.co.uk/en/security/online_security/verified_by_visa.aspx When shopping on our website, if your card is eligible for these schemes (currently only available on credit cards but not debit cards), you may see a pop up window appear when you are at the checkout. This pop up will be provided by the bank that issued the card you are making payment with. If you have not already registered your card, you can use this pop up and follow the instructions to register securely. Once registered, you will be taken back to the Séraphine website to complete your order. If you are at all concerned or confused, simply close the pop up window and complete your order as normal, then contact your bank to find out more about the schemes. Once registered, you will then be required to use your personal code on all subsequent online transactions. Séraphine is providing you with a secure and safe online shopping service.
Séraphine is committed to protecting the privacy of our site visitors and customers. We will not disclose information about our customers to third parties except where it is part of providing a service to you - e.g. arranging for a product to be sent to you, carrying out credit and other security checks and for the purposes of customer research and profiling or where we have your express permission to do so. We do occasionally make names and addresses available to a select few companies whose products are similar to ours and, we think may interest you. If you do not wish to receive such offers please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and address.
Séraphine respects your privacy. It is our intent to let you know before we collect personal information from you on the Internet. In order to place an order on our website you will be asked to log in using an email address and password. This enables us to send you confirmation of when your order has been dispatched as well as providing you with an easy log in for future visits to the website. If you choose to give us personal information through the Internet that we may need to correspond with you or process an order, it is our intent to let you know how we will use this information. If you tell us that you do not wish to have this information used as a basis for further contact with you, we will respect your wishes. We do not send random marketing emails to personal email addresses (spam). Information collected by Séraphine is used internally by authorised Séraphine employees for three main purposes.
- We collect information to determine how to improve our site by seeing which areas, features and products are most popular
- We collect information in order to personalise the site for our customers. For example, in the future, we may recommend products or features you may like based on what you have liked in the past
- We keep track of the domains from which people visit us. We analyse this data for trends and statistics, and then we discard it. We do not sell, rent, loan, or transfer any personal information regarding our customers to any unrelated third parties.
HANDLING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
If you are interested in placing an order with us online, but are concerned about how safe and reliable it will be, here is some information about how we manage and protect your data:
- Cookies (small text files put on your PC) are used on this shopping site, but only to keep track of the contents of your shopping cart once you have selected an item.
- Our secure server software encrypts information to ensure your transactions with us are private and protected as they travel over the Internet. All credit card transactions are either handled by an approved third party or on a secure server using a minimum of SSL/128-bit encryption
- When you make a purchase from our website, we collect certain personal information from you (for example: your name, email address, payment address and details). All such personal information is held on secure servers, and will be treated as fully confidential.
- As soon as your credit card payment has been verified, your card details are deleted from our database.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
The information that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers or business partners. Such staff may be engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support and associated services. Our suppliers and business partners may also transfer, store, use and otherwise process your information outside the EEA for the purpose of fulfilling their obligations to you and to provide you with information, goods and services. By using the sites, stores, social media and submitting your information during the purchase of items or participation in competitions and other promotions, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing inside and outside the EEA as stated above. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this policy.
A cookie is a small information file that is sent to your computer and is stored on your hard drive. If you have registered with us then your computer will store an identifying cookie which will save you time each time you re-visit Séraphine, by remembering your email address for you. You can change the settings on your browser to prevent cookies being stored on your computer without your explicit consent.
Secure Sockets Layer, a protocol developed for transmitting private documents via the Internet. SSL uses a cryptographic system that uses two keys to encrypt data − a public key known to everyone and a private or secret key known only to the recipient of the message. Both Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer support SSL, and many Web sites use the protocol to obtain confidential user information, such as credit card numbers. By convention, URLs that require an SSL connection start with https: instead of http: Another protocol for transmitting data securely over the World Wide Web is Secure HTTP (S-HTTP). Whereas SSL creates a secure connection between a client and a server, over which any amount of data can be sent securely, S-HTTP is designed to transmit individual messages securely. SSL and S-HTTP, therefore, can be seen as complementary rather than competing technologies. Both protocols have been approved by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) as a standard.
This site is tested and certified daily to pass the “McAfee Secure” Security Scan. To help address concerns about possible hacker access to your confidential data, and the safety of visiting this site, the "live" McAfee Secure mark appears only when this site passes the daily McAfee Secure tests. McAfee SECURE shopping is your safe shopping destination. Browse and shop with confidence at hundreds of merchants. Both protocols have been approved by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) as a standard.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We reserve the right to disclose your personal information to appropriate third parties if we are required to do so by law or we believe that such action is necessary:
- To verify your credit card details with the bank or a third party verification agency
- To comply with legal processes such as a search warrant, subpoena or court order.
- To investigate reports of fraud or of users sending material using a false email address.
IDENTITY VERIFICATION FOR YOUR SECURITY
To ensure that your credit, debit or charge card is not being used without your consent, we will validate name, address and other personal information supplied by you during the order process against appropriate third party databases. By accepting these terms and conditions you consent to such checks being made. In performing these checks, personal information provided by you may be disclosed to a registered Credit Reference Agency which may keep a record of that information. You can rest assured that this is done only to confirm your identity, that a credit check is not performed and that your credit rating will be unaffected. All information provided by you will be treated securely and strictly in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. You agree that we may use Personal information provided by you in order to conduct appropriate anti fraud checks. Personal Information that you provide may be disclosed to a credit reference or fraud prevention agency, which may keep a record of that information. We will validate name, address and other personal information supplied by you during the order process against appropriate third party databases. By accepting these terms and conditions you consent to such checks being made. In performing these checks personal information provided by you may be disclosed to a registered Credit Reference Agency which may keep a record of that information. You can rest assured that this is done only to confirm your identity, that a credit check is not performed and that your credit rating will be unaffected. All information provided by you will be treated securely and strictly in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
COMMUNICATION & MARKETING
If you have made a purchase from our store we may occasionally update you on our latest products, news and special offers via e-mail & post. You will also be given the opportunity to receive such communications from us and selected third parties when you become a member of Séraphine. All Séraphine members have the option to opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us. If you do not wish to continue to receive marketing from us and/or selected third parties you should opt-out by visiting 'Your Details' in 'Your Account' on the Séraphine website. You can access 'Your Account' once you register and login. Or click on the "unsubscribe" link in any email communications which we might send you.
Séraphine is committed to supporting the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 ('the Act') which aims "to regulate the use of automatic processed information relating to individuals and the provision of services in respect of such information". Séraphine has registered as a Data us
- The information contained in the personal data held by the Company is obtained and processed fairly and lawfully, i.e. in accordance with the provisions of the Act.
- Personal data held by the Company is only held for specified and lawful purposes.
- Personal data held by the company will not be used or disclosed in any manner incompatible with any lawful purpose.
- Personal data held by the Company will be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose for which it was obtained.
- Personal data held by the Company will be accurate (insofar as the Company can control this process, being dependent on customer integrity and the integrity of such credit reference agencies as it uses) and kept up to date.
- Personal data held by the company will only be kept for as long as is necessary for a particular purpose - the Company specifically needs to keep names and addresses of customers in order to deal with any queries, complaints or after sales service enquiries.
- The Company will advise any customer who enquires, whether the Company holds personal data on that customer and will respond appropriately if the customer requires the data to be corrected or erased.
- The Company has in place appropriate security measures against unauthorised access or alteration, disclosure or destruction of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of such data.
- Any enquiries relating to the Company's data protection policy should be addressed in writing to the Data Compliance Officer at Seraphine, Suite 3.01, Grand Union Studios, 332 Ladbroke Grove London, W10 5AD United Kingdom